Tarnish removers

When I first read  Kirsten's mail I was very scepticle about the mechanism
of removal of the brown tarnish that seems to appear in some shape or form
in everyone's silver plated mouthpieces. As a university research chemist I
have to keep an open mind on the subject. The first thing I did was test the
hypothesis. Indeed it did remove the tarnish! The next stage is to offer
some form of explanation to rationalise the observations. I approached a
colleague who is an expert in inorganic chemistry (I'm a synthetic organic
chemist - researching into the synthesis of new antibacterial agents) and he
did say that if the redox potential between the two metals was sufficient
enough then with salt acting as an electrolyte the it could be possible to
create an oxidation/reduction circuit.

Jack Alexander from 'down under' asked where the metals would be deposited.
This totally depends on which of the metals, aluminium or silver, is acting
as the cathode and anode and thus the direction of electron flow. This I
have yet to find figures on but as soon as I find out Jack I'll let you
know.

As to whether aluminium is attributed to Alzheimer's or not, I think that a
quick boil in an aluminium pan every year or so isn't going to change " the
decrepid nature of our older bandspeople" (this is a quote by the way) is
rather more likely due to the reduction in brain cells by alcoholysis which
I we all including myself fall foul of.

	  Find out more facts soon

		    Dr Peter Hadfield

			 Principal cornet of Todmorden Band (Yorkshire, UK)