Re: How to hear our broadcast

I've been investigating Cu-Seeme for some time, as a potential
video-conferencing system for our institute.  The software is fairly
easy to use but can be very slow.  Using a modem in a multi-user
conference (as opposed to one-to-one) typical frame rates are well
below 1 frame per second (you need 10 frames per second to fool the
human eye into "seeing" constant motion).  The sound can also be very
"choppy", with one word in three being lost.  During the small hours
of the morning, when interent traffic is a bit lighter, transmission
can be better with up to 4 or 5 frames per second and reasonable
sound quality.  A variety of audio decoders are provided with
Cu-Seeme; the better ones consume more bandwidth leaving less for
video transmission and therefore reduced quality.  It can be a bit of
a balancing act.

I haven't fared much better using a direct internet connection at
work (a 4Mbyte stream compared to 0.0288Mb with a good modem!!).
BUT virtually all the sites ("reflectors" in Cu-Seeme jargon) are
in the US which will make transmission slow.  I haven't yet found
a public reflector in the UK that I can try out.  Many of the participants
I've spoken to on the US reflectors (mostly using ISDN) get much better
reception with frame rates from 7-10; almost continuous video.

There are two versions of Cu-Seeme.  The original developers at
Cornell University give their software away free and it can be
downloaded from http://cu-seeme.cornell.edu/ (a 0.4Mb zip).

White Pine have produced Enhanced Cu-Seeme which is a much better
product and is available for download from
http://www.wpine.com/cudownload.htm.  The 16 bit version is a 3.3Mb
selfextracting zip and a combined 32bit and 16bit version takes a
massive 8.0Mb!  The white Pine version is share-ware and a serial
number is required to be able to use the software - these are
obtained by filling in a form at the White Pine web site and are
returned by e-mail.  The serial number gives you free use of the
software for 30 days.

That's about the limit of my experience.  If anyone has any other
questions I'll try to answer them.

Don't forget the Hogsnorton All Star Brass concert at Glossop Band
Room on Saturday night (8pm), featuring Brian Taylor, John Clough etc
etc.,

Don Cooper,
Glossop Old Band,
cardpc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx