Re: Music we should play

At 21.07 07-08-96 GMT, Tim Morgan wrote:
>> What do we think of these? - Any more suggestions? - Keep 'em coming -
>> everyone's got a chance to have their say!!
>
>As was mentioned during the test piece thread, some famous composers wrote for
>band in their time, and I think a suitable piece to reflect this would be 'A
>Moorside Suite' by Gustav Holst.  Perhaps just before the event, we could post
>the programme and general info to several musically minded newsgroups...seeing
>the name of Holst might attract some non-brass-band musicians to the broadcast
>too.  If the whole thing is too long, the second movement contains some of the
>most beautiful music ever written for band.

As I remember, that piece is pretty difficult to play. The 2nd movement
being particularly difficult to get in tune without any rehearsing. But I do
agree: it is a marvelous piece, that I loved to play.

>BTW, would it be possible for a list of people who will be playing in
London to
>be posted?  Just interested to see who's coming from where.

Hear, hear. I have a tentative plan to make some kind of happening around a
computer at the university, and get something in the newspaper about it, so
any information in that regard would be appreciated. I thought our local
band could benefit a little with some attention (just getting the name
mentioned is something).

Greetings

Jakob