Open results

The only reason I can think of for Dyke's 14th placing, was that they played
incredibly loud...just like Sun Life.  I didn't hear Marple or Tredegar (I only
saw the bands I thought were in the frame!!), but Grimethorpe's seventh placing
was a bit hard to believe...they were by far the worst band I heard.  The whole
thing harks back to last year's Open...BNFL, reigning champions, drew number one
and finished 19th.  Last year's winners Dyke drew number one and finished 14th.
Spooky...but perhaps this result was a blessing for Dyke players in a
way...their unbeaten run of last year led to a lot of discussion over the method
in which these contests were won...money changing hands being an integral part
of them.  This of course culminated in the outburst from a certain bandsman to
Jim Watson on stage at last year's nationals.  I hope this has quietened the
cynics a little.  Although I didn't hear the top two bands, I find it hard to
believe that any performance could have topped Faireys', and I know that BNFL
definitely didn't.  I also think the practice of applauding bands onto stage is
unfair, and inconsiderate.  Even before the band blew a note, the adjudicators
knew it was either Dyke or Fairey's on stage when Dyke came on.  Of course on
this occasion, they'd have known exactly the same thing after the performance of
the Queen...it was amazing!!

Still that's my opinion, and I wasn't in the box on the day.  It was a shame I
didn't see anyone from the list on the day...but then I probably wouldn't have
known it if I did... :)  As for the brand new Bridgewater Hall...the acoustics
are incredibly boomy when sitting right at the top in the Gallery,  a bit of the
seat fell off when someone passed me, the lights flickered on and off during
Foden's performance, and during YBS's, there was a peculiar ticking noise
emanating from the lighting I think.  All teething problems I expect, but I
don't think it's a patch on Birmingham's Symphony Hall.  I'm glad contest
organisers have finally realised the merits of this venue for contesting...it's
been chosen for the lower section nationals next year, and the Europeans in the
year 2000.  A couple of years ago, the organisers of the Midlands area were
offered it for free, but they declined...I don't know why...and neither will
anyone else who's ever played at the Midlands Area in Nottingham!!

Anyway, best wishes,
--
Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.

PS - I'll never, ever forget the look on the Marple players faces when the
result was announced.  It was sheer, unadulterated disbelief.  EVERYONE in that
hall was expecting band number one to be announced as the winners (not really
from the performance they gave, but from the fact that they hadn't come
anywhere else in the top 7!!).   When it was band 22, I had to look over the
shoulder of the man in front of me to see in his programme who it was!!