Re: Conical?

John (and anyone else who's interested):
   Sure, your trombone flares out to its bell, but for the vast
majority of its length, a trombone tube is cylindrical.
   For a comparison, look at one of your euphs. (same overall length
of tubing), and look at how wide the bore has become, say, at the
bottom of the horn (on the way to the bell). Now measure back a
similar distance from your  trombone bell, and I suspect the
trombone's bore is still considerably narrower at that point.
   For another illustration, compare a cornet and a trumpet side by
side, and see how soon the flare begins on the cornet.
   Of course the differences are minute enough that they can be
obliterated by different mouthpieces and players' sound concepts.
I've heard plenty of euphs that sounded like trombones!

Just one drummer's perspective!

Martin D. Jenkins	      mjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Music Library Coordinator/     PH: (513) 873-4983
   Humanities Team Leader      FAX: (513) 873-3786
Wright State University
Dayton OH 45435

  If everybody insisted on playing first violin, there
    would be no orchestras. -- Robert Schumann