Re: Conical?

John Aren wrote:

> Confession is good for the soul!  I've been telling audience for 20
> years that our (SMALL BORE) tenor trombones are the only non-conical
> instruments in the band and that's how they keep there cutting edge.
> But honestly now, as I look at the Trombone's taper, what is, where is
> the difference between that and my Eb Tenor horn?  In short, are we
> still correct with this discussion?  What makes a horn conical?
> Signed,
> Bewildered

Dear Bewildered,

Nothing's ever black and white - yes, a trombone is "more cylindrical"
than the saxhorns, but each has a necessarily cylindrical section.

In the case of the trombone, this has to be at least the (doubled)
length of the slide. When valves are down on a valved instrument, then
there will be a cylindrical section through the valve slides - but when
played "open", only a tiny amount will be cylindrical.

I'm not sure of the figures, but cornet/tenor horn/baritone will be
"less conical" than flugel/euphonium/bass.

So, yes, there'll be a bigger "bite" - but I'm sure some of the extra
edge is because the trombone is the only band instrument at its pitch to
have a horizontally-pointing bell.

Ian

--
    I am confident this explanation will dispell any feelings
    of certainty that may have been troubling you.