Re: Brighton Silver (fwd)

>Brighton Silver ( sponsored by the Blue Bus Company ) has a position of
>conductor that needs to be filled. After advertisements in the band press
>have not got us any replies I thought I might try here.
>
>We are a friendly bunch of musicians based in Brighton on the wonderful
>South Coast of England. This year we were promoted to the second section and
>despite losing our resident ( Christine Nonoo ) due to a growing brood, we
>aim to retain our position in that section.
>
>You can email me your C.V. or speak to the Band sec (Sian Buss) on 01273
>493469.

Your message caught my eye for two reasons: the marvellously appropriate
name of your Secretary, Sian Buss, and the fact that I had a wonderfully
entertaining evening playing with your band back in 1991.

I play trombone with Warringah Concert Brass in Sydney, along with the
famous Phil Anderton. I was touring England on holiday with my family in
January 1991, and we just happened to be in Brighton on your band practice
night, Monday 13th. I rang Siam (then Lucas) who was kind enough to invite
me to the practice.

I finally navigated myself successfully through the dark freezing streets
of Brighton to an unlit hall with a large group of morose bandies standing
huddled outside, breathing clouds of freezing air and complaining bitterly
about the cold. Unfortunately Sian was late and she was the only one with
the key!

She soon turned up and I was made very welcome. I had expected to listen in
to the practice, but the Bandmaster, David Allen, thrust a trombone into my
hand. I found myself playing first trombone in the absence of their own
player! What's more, the band was rehearsing a test piece, "Suite for
Brass" by Jan Segers, the First Division test for the Southern region
contest coming up in March. Whew!

I had a great evening and played for 2 solid hours, despite the fact that I
hadn't touched an instrument for weeks. I think my lips must have looked
like Louis Armstrong's after that!

Many thanks to the band for my most friendly reception and for a wonderful
opportunity to participate in the British banding scene.

Darrall Cutting