Re: Conical?

>Dick Shearer (formerly lead trombonist with Kenton) on hearing a college jazz ensemble whose
>trombone section was equipped entirely with large bore instruments remarked that
>they sounded like a squadron of d*** euphoniums.

>Personally, I think we ought to be using small to medium bore (tenor) instruments
>in the brass band.  The large bore trombones sound too similar to the euphs and
>tenors for my taste.
---
>Dennis L. Clason
>New Mexico State University Statistics Center
>Department of Economics
>Las Cruces, NM  USA

A very interesting explanation of the conical properties Dennis!
I just want to point out that Dick Shearer talked about a JAZZ
ensemble and than I can agree with him, but I certainly do not agree
that we should use small bore trombones in brass band. You definitely
hear if it is an euphonium or a trombone playing. I think that the
large bore trombones give a more mighty and powerful sound than the
often very narrow sound of a small or medium bore trombone.
Henrik Glaenneskog, 2nd trombone, Gothenburg Brass Band