Re: Re: Open results

Hi Nigel (W) and all list members,
      It is a fact that after Dyke's run last year, there was talk of bribing
adjudicators amongst brass band circles...proof of this can be seen in the
aftermath of Dyke's victory at last year's nationals when another bandsman
confronted James Watson himself on stage.  I personally did not hold with them,
do not hold with them and never will hold with them...who wants to be involved
in a movement corrupted with stuff like this, and of course never having a
chance of winning!  If I had believed them to be true, I would have been long
gone.  I was simply pointing out that Dyke's 14th placing at the Open has proved
what I believed all along...the rumours are unfounded and untrue, and hopefully
they will silence some of the more cynical amongst us.

This extract from BBW, November 1995, explains the incident: 'A bandsman from
another competing band engaged James Watson in a conversation that he found
extremely distasteful and everyone on the stage at the time was a witness to his
distress.
   After any contest there is only one appropriate form of action for the other
participants to take and that is to offer the victors their congratulations.
This is a golden rule of competition and it is time it was observed by all those
in tha banding movement who take part in competitions.'

I hope I have explained what I intended to put across, and we can let this
unsavoury side of banding lie.

Best wishes,
--
Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.