Re: Conical?

** Reply to note from Glaenneskog, Henrik <94K029@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 09/11/96 12:09pm GMT

> A very interesting explanation of the conical properties Dennis!

Thank you.

> I just want to point out that Dick Shearer talked about a JAZZ
> ensemble and than I can agree with him, but I certainly do not agree
> that we should use small bore trombones in brass band.

> You definitely
> hear if it is an euphonium or a trombone playing. I think that the
> large bore trombones give a more mighty and powerful sound than the
> often very narrow sound of a small or medium bore trombone.

To some degree that's a function of the player and the player's sound
concept, as well as the equipment they're using.  Personally, I find the timbral
range of brass band is narrow enough that medium bore tenor 'bones
played well are a help.

Large bore tenors have been around a _long_ time --
Conn's catalogs from shortly after the turn of the century show .547 bore
trombones.  Through his career, Arthur Pryor moved _down_ in bore sizes, and
felt that smaller instruments were more responsive for players who could
control them.  They don't have the absolute volume potential of the
bazookas with bass trombone mouthpieces that many people here in NA are
playing, but brass bands aren't about absolute volume levels, either.

As in most things, this works out as a matter of taste and what works for
the individual.

Dennis
Bass Trombone, Mesilla Valley Brass Band
--

Dennis L. Clason
New Mexico State University Statistics Center