The Kingdom Triumphant

Hi all,
     I remember being part of a fantastic performance of The Kingdom Triumphant
by Eric Ball. About 3 years ago, Birmingham Citadel celebrated its centenary.
Now, the solo euph player in the band, Keith Watts, is also the conductor of one
of the bands I play in, Sandwell Youth Band.  For this anniversary, the SA had
hired Symphony Hall in Birmingham.  The Citadel Band were there, the songsters,
the junior band, and the timbrels were all there too.  The concert ended with
The Kingdom Triumphant. For those who don't know the piece, it begins with
off-stage cornet and trombone fanfares.  Keith along with conductor Wes Kendrick
(another teacher in Sandwell Youth Music!!) had the idea of asking Sandwell
Youth Band's cornet and trombone sections to do the honours.  Now, in Symphony
Hall, are 2 large acoustic chambers.  From the hall, these look like big doors
set high into the wall, but behind them is actually a small, bare concrete room
- the idea being that if you want the sound to reverberate in the hall more, you
open the doors wider and vice versa.  Little did we know until the day, that
we'd be playing our fanfares from the INSIDE of these chambers!!  So, cornets
went in one, troms in the other.  We were so excited before the piece that we we
accidentally kicked the plug, from the monitor on which we had to watch the
conductor, out of the socket which caused a bit of a panic as the piece starts
with a timp roll from nothing, so we wouldn't have had a clue where to come in.
It must have been amazing in the hall - this huge, boomy fanfare coming from
absolutely nowhere!!  The hall is fantastic...we didn't even have to blow
above mf and it was massive!  The whole thing was played by the Citadel band,
the junior band were playing in the loud bits and so were we from our little
dens in the wall!!  The people at the Hall gave us a fantastic lighting
accompaniment, and we did the whole thing in synchronisation with a slide
projector, projecting images of natural beauty onto a huge screen above the
band.
     A truly memorable, moving experience of an amazing piece of music.

Best wishes,
--
Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.