RE: professionals

William,

On the subject of professionals in bands, I don't claim to be any expert
on the Australian rules, but from what I remember:

	If a player is consided a professional (by the same rules as yours,
except that I don't think that Police and military bands are included)
they must attend at least 60% of rehearsals in no less that a nine month
period before any competition.

This is obviously well-nigh impossible to administer, but it prevents
blatant abuse of the rule, by signing up the entire brass section of
Sydney Symphony Orchestra on the day of the competition.

I think the non-professional rule is in place purely to maintain the
proud claim of the brass band movement being one of the finest
non-professional musical sounds in the world, something that I would
like to continue. Certainly your comment is very valid about what we can
learn from these people and if you need to bend the rules to achieve
greatness, when has that stopped anybody in the whole of history?

On another note, I have heard very little out of Irish bands, only one
record by a Northern Irish band playing with Jim Shepherd (I can't
remember the name of the band, but it had "Alloys" in it). Who's really
good in Ireland, what levels do have in competitions and what do you
play as tests? Let's here from the brass of the emerald isle.

Rolf Miezitis
First Baritone
Glenorchy City Concert Brass
(now competing in Tasmania's first A-grade competition)