Re Professionals in Amateur Bands

Re: the debate about "professional" players in amateur bands.

 Our 1st Euphonium, John Saunders, has been Australian National and NSW
State champion a number of times.  He achieved excellence as a brass player
while playing in brass bands. He was taught euphonium at a young age
initially by his father, Jack Saunders who now conducts our band. Jack and
John played together in the Manly District Band for years before the
formation of our current band. (Manly and Warringah are close northern
districts of the City of Sydney.) Some years back John successfully applied
for a position playing trombone and euphonium in the Sydney Police Band, and
this is now his main "work" activity.
  If professional players were banned from amateur bands, John would not be
able to play in his fathers' band. This would seem unfair to me, since he
and the band would be paying a penalty for his achieving a level of
performance which enables him to make a living from his talent. He plays in
the Police band to make a living, whereas he plays in our band for enjoyment
and musical satisfaction.
  John directs the Junior band and he attends every practice and performance
except those few which clash with his work duties. Under these circumstances
there is no question that a "professional" should be allowed to be a part of
an amateur band.
   A practice which might be questioned is that of drawing in the odd
professional performer a couple of practices before a contest, mainly to
provide solos and cadenzas. This often happens in Australia in bands whose
performers and musical directors are involved with local major symphony
orchestras. The strategy is usually unsuccessful, because the lack of
ensemble, and the variation of ability within the band's performances are
usually obvious to the adjudicator.

Philip Anderton
Warringah Concert Brass Band
Sydney, Australia.