RE: professionals

On another note, I have heard very little out of Irish bands

Not to surprising, neither have I! This is mainly because Irish bands are
not as good as our British neighbours. And (strangely enough) part of the
problem is the lack of the professional element in the movement here, among
other things. But in response to requests for information about the Irish
scene, here goes:
Most bands are part of the Irish Association of Brass and Military
Bands,(IABMB), which  as you can see by the name, also includes Brass and
Reed bands.
For national competitions there are 4 classes(for both Brass & Brass and
Reed seperately)

	Junior: unlike the British Junior Section, this is nothing to do
with age, but	 the standard of the band. No test piece, own choice.

	Intermediate: "Little Suite for Band"(M.Arnold), "Indian Summer"

	Senior: I`ll have to look this one up!

	Championship: "Tam O`Shanters Ride", "Year of the Dragon"

In Northern Ireland, there is a different Association, which I`m afraid I
know very little about, but I hear its rather good.
Some of the better Irish bands are the likes of Loch Gorman and Arklow Brass
Bands, and from the other camp, St. James Brass & Reed Band(Dublin) and
Barrack Street Concert Band(Waterford). Recently, Irelands only Brass Band
music publisher has gone on line at

http://indigo.ie/~ocmp

if you want to take a look.

Thanks for all your comments about professionals in bands, which I will
bring to the attention of the relevant people. I see it`s not only a touchy
subject in Ireland!

William Dee

Dungarvan Brass Band
Ireland