Re: The Kingdom Triumphant

On 26 Sep 96 at 20:57, GLENN McGOWAN wrote:

> I've played this piece many times, and heard it more times and on
> many recordings, but I think without doubt David King's version of
> it on Yorkshire Building Society's latest CD "Essays for Brass"
> (Polyphonic) blows the competition away.

I agree, this recording sets new standards for the performance of
classic Army masterpieces.

Even more exciting, in my view, is the rendition of Dean Goffin's
symphonic variations, 'My Strength, My Tower'. This is a MUST hear.

If there is one (minor) criticism I might make, it is that on most
of the selections on the CD, the cornet section is a little too
heavy -- to the detriment of the other sections. (Although, I must
congratulate the cornets on their superb rendition of the opening
fanfare in 'The Call of the Righteous' - BRAVO!)

Nevertheless, Salvationist band members ought to seriously consider
the purchase of this excellent recording. 'Essays for Brass' gets a
9.5 out of 10 from me.

Regards,

Robert Miller
Euphonium, Intrada Brass