Re: Red Earth

To:	    brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:       Re: Red Earth
Date:	  Tue, 1 Oct 1996 23:41:27

On  2 Oct 96 at 0:15, Mark Strykowski wrote:

> I would like to know if anyone has heard this piece performed and is
> it available on a recording? Who played the winning performance that
> year? Is this piece considered "hard enough" for this grade?

Black Dyke won and their performance is preserved for you on the
European Brass Band Championships' double CD set (CD9508), presumably
available in any distinguished record shop. If it's not available, you
should send e-mail to SGToM@xxxxxxxxxxxx and ask Paul Alvarez to send
you a copy.

It's really a great recording of the Red Earth, but the Gala Concert
performance by Williams Fairey Band is worth the price of the CD on
its own. (Even just for the Eric Ball transcription of 'Nimrod' from
'Enigma Variations'.)

Regards,

Robert Miller
rmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx