Results investigation crash

To all listmembers/friends,

Last Thursday the results of the investigation on the crash at Eindhoven, in
which most of the members of the Fanfare of the Dutch Landforces (Eric among
them) and the crew were killed, were published. In the morning there has
been a session for all relatives, in the afternoon the pressconference took
place.

Since so many of you wrote to me and showed so much interest I think it's
not more than fair to let you know what happened.
Must warn you that the conclusion of the reports is quite painfull.

The crash was caused by a flock of birds (approx. some 600 were 'hiding' in
a field next to the landingstrip), some 150 or 160 hit the cockpit and the
two engines on the left wing. These engines stopped, as well as one on the
right wing. Due to this, the take-off procedure the crew initiated as soon
as they saw the birds, failed because of lack of power. Also because of the
one working engine giving full speed and the others working as a break, the
plane 'tripped' to the left, the wing touched the ground and made the plane
'swirl'. Fuelpipes were damaged and the cerosine got on fire. When the plane
stopped the crew got out of the cockpit and went in to the plane to start
evacuating the passengers. Quite soon after they left the cockpit, there was
an explosion and the way back to the cockpit was blocked with an intens
fire. Because of the impact the doors couldn't be opened, only one door
could be moved some two inches. Then the fire took the oxygen and caused
other (toxic) fumes and they all 'fell asleep'.

This is what happened with and inside the Hercules.

For the actions on the outside: the traffic controller saw the crash happen
and initiated the firebrigade at the airport. They where on the site in 2=BD
minutes (approx.) and started to fight the fire. Because they didn't know
there where people on board other than the crew, they concentrated on the
cockpit. Within 6 or 7 minutes the "90 % knock-down" situation was
established, meaning they could go in then. Since the cockpit burned out
completely they presumed the crew coulnd't have survived. So they didn't
enter the plane but concentrated on keeping the small fires under control.
By this time the civil firebrigade had arrived and also some ambulances and
other rescue-equipment was there. The commanding officer (who was in charge
of the operation) did walk around the plane at 10 past 6 (7 minutes after
the crash) to see if there was a way to get in. Unfortunately he didn't find
an entrance (although he must have been at this one door that could have
been opened a bit). By the time some firemen entered the plane through the
big hole in the body, caused by the fire, to put out some small fires inside
it was 6.39. It was only then they discoverd there were passengers on board.
So they forced an extra way in through this door at the rear (which could be
opened a bit) by using a hydraulic lifting system. Unfortunately only 10
passengers were still alive at that time, of which one died on the way to
the hospital and two within a week. That makes 34 victims, and 7 badly
wounded survivors.

Conclusion of the report was that if they'd known (or acted like) there were
passengers on board they could (and would) have entered the plane 25 minutes
earlier than they did. It is very lickely more would have survived and the
ones who did survive wouldn't have been injured as badly as they are now.

Even though more than half of the number of Hercules' planes that land there
carry passengers they presumed only crew was on board.
By just presuming this they took the wrong decision by concentrating on the
cockpit and by not trying to enter the plane as soon as it was possible.
By presuming this most of the passengers were killed.

You can say it is a bitter conclusion, knowing more or even all might have
been alive if it wasn't for this major mistakes.

It is a bit of comfort that the passengers fell asleep pretty soon and
didn't feel pain or knew they were dying.
Also I do have respect for the fact that all is out in the open, that
especially the Royal Airforce (who's the responsible party in this) took the
blame and didn't try to hide anything.

Even though the outcome is very hard to accept, I am relieved that it is now
all clear what happened, that at least this chapter can be closed.
Speculations in the newspapers were sometimes more upsetting than knowing
the truth is, even as bitter as this truth is. The 'how' is answered, and
that's all that can be answered.

Hope you all appreciate getting the facts, if not I'm sorry I've enloaded
this on you. If you have any questions, let me know, I'll try to answer
them. Hope my translation is sufficient (the reports are in Dutch).

Take care,

Ineke