Re: Contest Results

** Reply to note from Christopher Thomas <106060.3675@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 10/07/96  1:37pm -0400

> The result at Ammanford was a little puzzling! Mr. Newsome said that the
> best band came 2nd and that he awarded the first prize to the band that
> made the most mistakes, but sent a shiver down his spine! A little
> puzzling, that one!

I didn't hear the performances (obviously, since I can't even place Ammanford
on the map, much less been there), but I can understand an adjudicator awarding
first to the band that made the most mistakes _if_ they made the best music.
>From the sound of his comment (they sent a shiver down his spine) that's what
happened.  It's rare that one hears a completely flawless live performance,
even from professional ensembles.  I can especially understand his position
if the so-called "best" band mailed in their performance. The point of getting up
on stage is to make music, to thrill the audience (and ourselves).  It's hard for
the audience to get worked up when the musicians don't care much themselves.

Dennis
--

Some performances are intensely musical experiences, warts and all.

Dennis L. Clason
New Mexico State University Statistics Center
Department of Economics
Las Cruces, NM  USA