A 'different' brass band gig (long)

Hi brass-banders,
 Thought you might like to hear of a slightly different 'gig' for which we
played at 2:30 pm on Sunday 20th October, about 8 hours before the start of
the Cyberband concert.
 October signals the start of the bushfire season in Australia. Across the
country there is a large network of volunteers who are dedicated to fighting
bushfires when the need arises. Terrey Hills, where our band is based, is a
pretty area, but it is also one of the worst areas for bushfires in Sydney.
It lies just south of Kuringai National Park, and whenever fires appear,
fanned by hot north westerly winds, the Terrey Hills Community is always at
risk.
  The area is served by a small branch of the bushfire brigade, the
Warringah-Pittwater Unit. This group were heavily engaged in the most recent
fires which devastated large areas near Terrey Hills in 1994. Every year at
this time the local churches hold a small inter-denominational service for
this group - a blessing of the fleet, if you like - however, it is a fleet
of fire-trucks rather than ships. Since about 1980 our band has provided a
small concert before this service, and music for hymns during the service.
   As you might imagine, the risks involved in this service are not
insignificant, and occasionally these brave people suffer burns or even loss
of life in protecting the life and property of the community. So the event,
though small and simple, can be quite moving when the risks of the oncoming
season are contemplated, and the tragedies of past years are remembered.
  The chaplain for this service in NSW is a Salvation Army officer who
addressed the group, and of course no ensemble plays hymns better than a
brass band (in tune, we hope).
  I suspect this might be unique in the brass-band world. We enjoy the job
and are happy to provide a small service for this organization of committed
volunteers.

Philip Anderton
Warringah Concert Brass
Sydney, Australia.

PS Some of our band members tried to view the cyberband at the Cafe Internet
last night. Unfortunately the band-width from the UK is limited, and none of
us has sound gear yet (next time for sure). Hope you all had a great time.
Maybe the Australians on the list can organise a similar event from
Newcastle next Easter if we can find an Internet Cafe or University group
which might help.

PPS We have been promoted to A-grade. Our next contest will be the
Australian Nationals in A-grade. Are we nervous?..Never!