Pontins Results

Well basically, the adjudicators got it totally right, didn't make any
mistakes, no one was robbed and the piece was the best ever written for band! :)

Harry Mortimer Memorial Championship - 27th October 1996
Test Piece: Diversions for Brass Band by Derek Bourgeois
Adjudicators: David Read and John Berryman

1st  Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass  189
2nd  SWT Woodfalls		      188
3rd  Cory			       187
4th  Bodmin Town			186
5th  Bournemouth Concert Brass	  183
6th  Flowers			    181
7th  BTM

That's all I know.  In the end, 10 bands withdrew (Staffordshire Building
Society was the extra one not in the programme).  I don't know why so many did,
but it has been said that some bands withdrew simply because their sop. player
couldn't manage it.  Some bands withdrew through lack of personnel.  It's a
shame, because bands are turned away from this contest every year because
it's full, and for 10 bands lucky enough to get invited to withdraw is
pretty bad.  We went on with three on the front row and no principal cornet!
(Our fourth solo cornet burnt her hands at work last week and had to drop out)
Our 2nd cornet player played the solo in the 2nd movement..he played a blinder
as it happens.  That said, all the top bands still competed so it was still a
worthwhile contest to play in (oh yes, and to win) :)

Boy, are we looking forward to Reading!!
--
Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.

PS - If anyone is interested in applying for the position of Principal Cornet or
Assistant Principal Cornet with Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass (Pontins
Champions 1996) and can make rehearsals in Smethwick, near Birmingham then you
can contact me for more details! :)