Re: Brassed Off

Well, seeing as i've finally got a little free time i'll write my Barry
Norman review of Brassed Off.

I thought it was great.  It was good to see people like James Shepherd and
Robin Taylor? in the band as well... I never really noticed the vavle
movements too much.  I think that if you go there looking to see if they
play it well or not then you're obviously going to notice it but if you're
just going to see the film then you can overlook it. The band playing is
good, but i agree that they sounded like they were blowing right into the
microphone. The playing of Londonderry Air was deeply moving.  I really
did feel myself filling up inside and it's not often a band does that for
me, especially in Londonderry Air because i really dislike it. The (true)
story of the pit closure was really well handled and the anger of what was
happening did reach me as a viewer.  If you support the Tory party then
don't expect any good adverts. I agree that this is mainly about the pit
closure and while the band is the centre of the community, it's sharing
centre place of the film with the pit closure.

As for the film possibly giving a cliched image of the band world, well i
don't think we have anything to worry about.  Yes we hear the old brass band
marches and overtures but unless you go to the film looking to be
offended then you can sit back and enjoy it.

The film offers real yorkshire humour.  It really is very very funny and
I laughed an awful lot.  However, in the middle of the film, there are
funny bits but you just feel so depressed that you don't feel like laughing.

I would totally recommend most people to go and see it, especially brass
banding people since it is a great film..

Book your tickets now.

Gregor Spowart

PS, for Nigel Horne, if this message doesn't reach the list then could
you forward it for me since i'm possibly still having problems with my mail.