Re: Brass in the movies/TV

At 09:48 AM 08/11/96 +1100, you wrote:
>My favorite band sketch is in the Christmas Special episode of Rowan
>Atkinson's "Mr Bean" series. A small brass band group is playing carols
>outside a shopping centre. Mr Bean is given the baton while the band leader
>goes off to try on some womens' underwear !! The usual baton tricks with the
>band playing staccato notes with each movement of the baton, etc. -
>hilarious in Mr Bean's hands.

I agree wholeheartedly!  And it is the funniest Salvation Army band ensemble
I have ever seen (and I've seen a few!).  I was especially impressed by how
well they seemed to follow Mr. Bean (or vice versa, perhaps).  I believe it
was "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" and the 'swing' version that Mr. Bean has
them play is particularly good.  Does anyone know who the participants were?
I'm not sure if they were S.A. or just stand-ins.  I'm anxiously awaiting
Christmas just for the chance to see it over and over again!

(Although in my version the bandmaster goes off to try on some earrings and
a necklace which was given by a pickpocketing boy in the collection.
Perhaps the Australian version is particularly naughty? ; )  )

Erik Pittock
pittock@xxxxxxxx