Re: Sound Card Advice

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996 11:54:23 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>I am looking to replace my soundcard that didn't take well to its most
>recent shipping experience and I'm wondering if anyone could recommend =
>me what soundcard would be best.  I would use the card mostly for games,
>mostly in DOS or Win95, but I dabble from time to time with MIDI, mostly
>when I'm using Finale, at which time I'm simply using the keyboard on =
the
>computer, no actual MIDI devices.  Obviously I want something that is =
going
>to give me a better MIDI brass sound than did my old Pro Audio Spectrum =
16.
> So wavetable synthesis is a must.  Price is of some concern, and I'm =
not
>about to buy top of the line because I don't need it.  A middle of the =
road
>card with many features at a good price would be my target.
>
>I've narrowed it down to a two companies.  Either a card from the
>SoundBlaster line (the SB16, SB32 or AWE32) or perhaps a Turtle Beach =
card
>(Tropez, Tropez Plus, TBS 2000).  Does anyone use a different card that
>they would recommend, remembering that my main requirement is that it be
>SoundBlaster compatible.
>
>I would appreciate hearing from everybody, but I don't know that =
everyone
>else would.  Perhaps you could email me (not by replying, though) and if
>anyone else wants to hear what I've got I could post a summary or email =
them.

If you want SB compatibility, you really want SB16 compatibility and
the only card that will give you that is an SB16. Be warned that some
of the higher end wavetable cards (such as the Soundscape) provide
only poor SB mono emulation.

The SB32 or AWE32 is the easiest solution but the midi patch on the
cards is reckoned to be inferior. My recommendation would be an SB16
with either a midi daughterboard or a standalone midi card. I can
recommend the Yamaha XG series which have stunning sounds and probably
represent the best value.

If you have never experienced wavetable synthesis, you are likely to
be bowled over whichever option you pick.

Phil