Swedish National Championships

Hello friends!

I don't know if any of you knew that the Swedish National
Championships were held last saturday (9th November) in Joenkoeping.
The contest is a biannual event and features brass bands in two
grades, A and B grade. Every band puts a half an hour programme
together and the band that does the best performance wins. That means
there are no set test pieces.

The adjudicators were Roger Webster and Tom Brevik and here are the
results:

A-grade

1. Goeteborg Brass Band (yippeee)
      Ave Verum (Mozart, arr: Bram Gay)
      Lohengrin, introduction act III (Wagner)
      Mountain Song (Sparke)
      Diversions on a Bass Theme (Lloyd)

2. Solna Brass
     Just as I am (Heaton)
     Euphony (Redhead)
     Essence of Time (Graham)

3. Brass Band of Bethlehem Covenant Church (yippeee again, I happen
    to play there to)
     Celebration of Contemporary Gospel Songs (Himes)
     Priere a Notre Dame from Suite Gothic (Boellman, arr: Ball)
     The Great Salvation War (Curnow)

4. Malmoe Brass Band

5. Jaerfaella Gospel Brass

6. Brass Band of Emanuel Covenant Church

B-grade

1. Berga Brass (they have only existed for two and a half years!!)
       Dalaroe (Gregson)
       Canadian Folk Song Suite (Calvert)
       A Matter of Seconds (Vinter)

2. Halmstad Brass
       Free World Fantasy (de Haan)
       One Moment In Time (Hammond&Bettis, arr: Bernaerts)
       English Folk Songs (Vaughan Williams, arr: Wright)

3. Boras Brass Band
       The Kiwi March (Hylander)
       English Folk Songs
       The Queen Bee (Nestico, arr: Hylander)
       In Memoriam from Royal Parks (Lloyd)
       Be Thou My Vision (Curnow)

4. Froelunda Brass

5. Brass Band of Covenant Church, Soedertaelje

6. Brass pa Dal

7. Skanska Dragonbrigadens Frivilliga Musikkar

At the end of the day there was a gala concert were Solna Brass
played the first half and Goeteborg Brass Band played the second half.
Solna featured Roger Webster as soloist in Crossroads and Hejre Kati.

What tone that man can produce! He plays with total control!!
Goeteborg Brass Band featured The Scandinavian Trombone Trio. They
were absolutely first class!!

By the way, Bram Gay was here a few weeks ago as guest conductor with
our band, and he really praised the notation programme Sibelius 7. I
have only heard positive things about this programme (except that you
has to buy the hardware with it) so I think that's what one should go
for when searching for notation programmes.
Henrik Glaenneskog
2nd trombone
Goeteborg Brass Band
http://www.chestud.chalmers.se/~k94029/gbb.html