Lots of questions!

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for the long posting. It's a one-off, I promise.

I write music for TV, theatre and films and, although I've written in a
great many styles and for lots of different ensembles, orchestras, rock
bands and so on over the years, I've never written anything for brass (or
wind) band. This is partly because no-one's ever asked me to and partly
because I wouldn't know how to go about getting something played. (I
don't know very much about your world except what I've learnt in the
three weeks I've been lurking on this list.)

But now I've gone and written a piece, four minutes long, based on
Tyneside folksongs and I don't know where to go from here. It started as
a shorter piano piece which I wrote when my father died recently. He was
from Newcastle. (I hoped the organist would be able to play it at the
funeral, but it turned out he needed chord symbols before he'd even
tackle The Lord's My Shepherd!)

So now, during a bout of unemployment, I've re-worked it and I'd love to
hear it played. But I need some ideas about arranging it. It'll have to
be quite a big band, with flutes, a piccolo, clarinets probably and two
percussionists as well as regular brass band instruments. What are the
standard bands? I know the individual instruments but how many are there
of each? What's normal?!

Would I stand a chance of getting it played? Are there already zillions
of Tyneside folksong suites? Is there a band here in Brixton?

I'll certainly ask a more experienced band-arranger to look at it and
tell me if I've made a hash of it: I'm _not_ assuming that arranging for
bands is a piece of cake. By the way, if anyone would like me to email
them a MIDI file of the piece please let me know. I'd welome your
criticism.

I'd really appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks.

Peter Brewis
pbrewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx