Re: 10th Ave

>Hello everyone,
>
>At one of our recent rehersals we had a bit of a look at piece of music
>called "Slaughter on 10th Avenue". I can't even remember the name of the
>arranger at the moment but I'm pretty confident someone will no the
>arrangment. I believe the music was from a stage show but it could have
>been a movie. If anyone knows the name of the show or if it is available
>on a video I'd be greatful to know what it was.

Slaughter on 10th Avenue was a ballet written by Richard Rodgers for a
Broadway musical called "On Your Toes" in the 1930s.  It was featured in
the MGM movie "Words and Music" (1950s?) (bio pic of Rodgers and Hart) with
Gene Kelly and (I think) Ann Miller or Cyd Charrisse dancing.  Really
great.  There is a CD with music from "Words and Music" in our local
library, so it shouldn't be too hard to get.

I believe the brass band arrangement is difficult, but there should be some
electrifying moments in it.  The music owes a bit to "An American in Paris"
- but which "jazz ballet" music doesn't?

Jack Alexander
Waverley Bondi Beach Band
Sydney NSW    Australia

Telephone: (61) (2) 9385 5290	 Fax: (61) (2) 313 8604
E-mail: J.Alexander@xxxxxxxxxxx