Re: church bands

>Hello Henrik:

>It was interesting to read your post about the Swedish National
>Championships on the Brass Band List. I am curious to learn
>why there seem to be so manychurch bands in Sweden (few
>here in the U.S. except for those associated with the Salvation
>Army). I see that you play with a church band, as well as with
>Goeteborg. Can you tell me how these bands came to be and
>why they continue?

>Mark Anderson in Woodstock, NY USA

It is a difficult question to answer, I don't even know if there is
any answer!
The church bands in Sweden have a long tradition. For example,
my band (Brass Band of Bethlehem Covenant Church) celebrates
70 years on saturday! That is quite amazing for a non-SA church
brass band.
Anyway, I think that everything started with the Salvation Army. They
had the first brass bands here in Sweden. The churches were not (and
still are not) that far away from each other since new communions
were formed by members from older ones, and if the old communion had
brass bands - the new one certainly would have too (of course!).
We have never had any tradition of competing with brass bands. I
think that the first championship was held in the beginning of the
80's, and I think that this contributed to the low number of profane
brass bands in Sweden.
How do we survive then?
Well, most of the church brass bands finance their activity just like
most English brass bands, through CD's, annual fees, sales and stuff
like that. Not many brass bands want to rely on money from the parish
- they simply want to survive by themselves.
I don't know if any of this made you wiser but this is the best
answer I can give you.

Regards,

Henrik Glaenneskog
2nd trombone