Re: Musical Committees (fwd)

Hi All,

There is a local Male Voice Choir who have what they call a "Music Team" to
"Advise" the M.D. on such issues as programme content etc etc.  Once I had to
go to a rehearsal to play the piano for them, and I was amazed to find that
this lot had a blackboard behind the conductor, with a rehearsal programme
written out on it i.e. 7.30 - 7.45 warm up , 7.45 - 8.10 work on song ******,
8.10 - 8.30 sectionals on ******song and I was told that this programme was
drafted up by the "Music Team" who planned rehearsals a month in advance in
this very detailed way.  Although the conductor was on the "Music Team", the
team itself had it's own chairman, who represented "Musical matters" on the
main choir committee, of which the M.D. was not a member.  The M.D. was mearly
a servant to carry out the wishes of the "Music Team", wave his arms around and
follow the rehearsal plans.  One of the "Team" was a guy responsible for "Vocal
Quality", who kept coming out from his place and reminding people to sing an
"EE" vowel with a dark sound , and other such gems of wisdom to interupt the
flow of the rehearsal.

It seemed to me that nothing much was getting done in all this organisation -
they were having problems with a modulation, and the conductor was working away
to fix it, but, amazingly stopped what he was doing at a certain time to move
on to the next part of the rehearsal.  To me this meant that all the good work
he had done to try and fix the problem was thrown away, because the problem
never actually got fixed that rehearsal - it was more important to follow the
plan than fix the problems. I've never seen anything like it.

Nigel Wears