Re: The ISB

At 02:40 PM 04/01/97, you wrote:
>For the five or so years that i've been interested in brass banding my
>favourite band has ALWAYS been the International Staff Band of the Salvation
>Army.  In my opinion there is nothing anywhere to even touch them.  However,
>thats just my opinion and i'm curious as to what other people think about
them.
>I know that some people think that Enfield Citadel Band are a 'better' band
>(this is in the context of Salvation Army Banding) and so I ask everyone who
>have heard the ISB just to have a little input here, if only to liven up what
>has been a very quiet list lately.  Of course, in Salvation Army banding, its
>not competitive at all and I believe thats the way it should be but of course
>there are varying standards and this is what I want to hear about.  Because I
>feel that for a band who's priority is to provide insiration and blessing to
>all the Salvation Army bandsmen and women around the world, their standard is
>greater IMO than all bands, Salvationist or otherwise.
>
>Now, this may cause offence to some people and if it does then my hugest
>apologies, and please please remember its just my opinion but i'm curious
as to
>what other people, who have had much longer experiences than me of banding,
>both Salvationist and otherwise think of the ISB?
>
>All comments gratefully received.
>
>Thanks a lot

Well, I think the ISB is a pretty good group.  Certainly in the top few
bands of the Salvation Army, but I don't know whether or not I would call
them THE best.  And it's always changing.  I know here in Canada there have
been many bands at the top that now are practically unheard from.  I would
have to say that in terms of all over calibre, Enfield has my vote, or at
least they did the last time I heard them which I'm sorry to say has been a
few years now.

When they were over here last, the ISB was a tremendous group, probably the
best of the four (ISB, Canadian Staff Band, New York Staff Band, Chicago
Staff Band).  But even looking at that event it was interesting to see how
very different they all were.  Could the ISB, with maybe the exception of
some soloists, swing the way that Chicago or New York did?  I don't know.
I've heard the ISB on Fanfare of Praise sound a little too tight on the
more upbeat items, although it was still flawless.  And then there's the
idea of a good live band versus a good recording.  How much did the
recording engineer add or take away or how much do the festival uniforms
make the band sound better?  I still remember Enfield playing Pines of Rome
as an encore finale in Detroit about 8 years ago, seeing the cornets and
trombones swing out and just fill every square inch of the hall with
sound...  Ah, it's all good, isn't it?

And I don't quite know if I agree that there isn't a degree of
competitiveness about S.A. banding.  I know of more than a few people who
love to take sides! ; )  (A few of my friends would often joke about what
if S.A. bands became like North American sports teams and players could be
traded around.  Kind of a fantasy league band contest, I guess!)

But when it all comes down to it, we're all in the same uniform and we all
share pride.  Seeing a band, no matter how small or how out of tune, always
makes me feel like I'm a part of it, like I somehow have a bond with those
players.  They know what it's all about.

Hope this ramblings of a back row cornet player don't put anyone else off
this topic!

Erik Pittock
pittock@xxxxxxxx