Re: The ISB

On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, Gregor Spowart wrote:

> For the five or so years that i've been interested in brass banding my
> favourite band has ALWAYS been the International Staff Band of the Salvation
> Army.  In my opinion there is nothing anywhere to even touch them.  However,
> thats just my opinion and i'm curious as to what other people think about them.

I also agree that the ISB are a step above the rest!  They can easily be
compared to any competition band.  They have a richer sound then
competition bands probably due to the few extra players!  I would rather
listen to the ISB over some competition bands because they don't have an
excessive amount of vibrato!  Could someone explain why European bands
have so much vibrato!  I realize that it is traditional, but I think
there would be greater demand if they caught up with the times,
especially with orchestral players!  I go to school for music and study
trumpet.  I usually introduce brass banding to my peers!  The first thing
they mention is the vibrato!  It could be executed a little more tastefully,
as it is an essential part of being musical.  All they need to do is slow
it down a bit!  This is however just my opinion!

		Kris