ISB

The ISB is no doubt a superb band.  By the very nature of thier commission
they are a very fine reading band, but bands are very much dependent upon the
conductor.  Will they exercise "ensemble" or will they be free to contest
each other with sounds which protrude?  Will they have the fff of Desford or
be contained in a Phil McCann, Sellers style playing.   The first is an
offense while the second is a choice.  Thats why I by different albums.

In my opinion, Steve Cobb has brought the ISB to new heights.  He brings his
expertise from his larger corps band (Hendon, S.A.) to a smaller ensemble and
the net result is a clarity which puts them in the running with any contest
band.

I was slightly amused at Peter Graham's notes in the latest Yorkshire
recording regarding the dispelled myth of ownership which SA bands have over
thier own publications.   I think the recording proved it true, i.e. NOBODY
has ever touched Enfield's recording of My Strength My Tower.

Here again, many of the musicians we speak of in Hendon and Enfield are a
part of the ISB.  Under Bowes they sounded like any other band.  Redhead was
a big sound, typical of his compositions and style... But Steve Cobb brings
the clarity.