Re: The ISB

On Sat  4 Jan 97 (16:20:39), pittock@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>When they were over here last, the ISB was a tremendous group, probably
>the best of the four (ISB, Canadian Staff Band, New York Staff Band,
>Chicago Staff Band).  But even looking at that event it was interesting
>to see how very different they all were.  Could the ISB, with maybe the
>exception of some soloists, swing the way that Chicago or New York did?
> I don't know. I've heard the ISB on Fanfare of Praise sound a little
>too tight on the
>more upbeat items, although it was still flawless.

Totally!
The ISB aren't very good at jazz or swing at all, i forgot all about that.
Although Robert Foster, their flugel orn player, has a good grasp of it IMO.
I heard David Daws trying it and unfortunately he had less success, probably
the only part of his technique thats not excellent, (although I still prefer
Stephen Cobb, but thats another story!)
However, I really don't think any of the european bands can swing or jazz at
all. (Sorry)  I'm a huge fan of jazz as well, Guy Barker, but brass bands just
can't get near it.  Although, the American and Canadians seem to be more
adaptable to it than the Brits for some reason. I don't know why....

Best wishes

--
Gregor Spowart <gregors@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

...... In case of emergency - RUN!!!!!!! ......