ISB / Top 10 S.A. Bands

At 11:56 PM 05/01/97 +0000, you wrote:
>With all the talk of army bands, perhaps also Bristol Easton and Chalk
>Farm Bands should also be mentioned as far as corps bands go that would
>probably be at the top end of the list. These bands do not have members
>of the ISB within their ranks although some players are known to have
>been asked to join, but due to other commitments cannot. In many ways
>Enfield and "The Farm" are more like the contesting band because of their
>size, especially when compared to the 40 players the other two bands each
>have. One thing you notice if you see the smaller bands is that unlike
>some bands, every player puts in their part, and there are no players
>being 'carried' in the band.

>Also while the subject of the ISB as the army's premier music group is
>raised, i would have to disagree, and say that my vote would go to the
>Egon Virtuoso Band. As it is a recording only band, which usually spends 2
>nights and a Saturday for both rehearsing and recording a CD, that
>releases twice a year, it allows players from all over the UK to take
>part, rather than hold the ISB's London bias, which because of its nature
>it can do nothing about, and this means that some of the army's best
>players can meet and release something that will appeal to a larger
>section of the brass band market.

You bring up an interesting note, that being Egon.  Is it strictly S.A.
players?  I know it started out as such, is it still?  There is a band here
in Canada of probably all of the top S.A. players and a few outside people
as well, called Intrada, led by Bram Gregson.  It's an outstanding band,
naturally, and it's strong S.A. element almost makes it a similar band to
Egon.

Speaking of corps bands and the quality of some of them, I'd be interested
to know what readers feel are the Top 10 of S.A. Bands, and how many corps
bands vs. staff bands would be on the list.  Who knows?  There may be a
band or two that some haven't heard of.  I confess I'm aware of only a
handful of bands in the U.K. and would have no idea how to rank most of those.

Erik Pittock
pittock@xxxxxxxx