RE: Vibrato (was Re: The ISB)

Hi, fellow bands-people!

As an American brass band cornetist as well as an orchestral trumpet player,
I'd have to agree with Bill's statement with the following modification.  I
believe that over here, it's not the AMOUNT of vibrato used, as much as the
SPEED of the vibrato.

At least in the Chicago area (as well as the US midwest) we seem to use a fair
amount of vibrato, but at a slower rate.  A typical English vibrato seems to
have a frequency of on the order of 6 to 8 Hz, while here, it's more in the
range of 3 to 5 Hz.  I also try to vary the speed of the vibrato a bit,
starting out a little slower and speeding up if I am holding a note for a few
seconds or more.

To me,  the English style sounds a little like shivering, or nervousness.  I
realize, of course that this is not the origin of the vibrato, as guys like
Russell Gray and Phil McCann play rings around me any day of the week!

Like Bill says, its purely a personal stylistic phenomenon.  I DO notice,
listening to tapes of my band from a few years back, that I now play with a
faster vibrato than I used to.  Maybe I've picked up the style from listening
to BNFL and Black Dyke, et al...

Guy Clark
guyclark@xxxxxxx
principal cornet, Illinois Brass Band