RE: Vibrato (was Re: The ISB)

On Mon  6 Jan 97 (04:01:50), guyclark@xxxxxxx wrote:
>To me,  the English style sounds a little like shivering, or
>nervousness.  I  realize, of course that this is not the origin of the
>vibrato, as guys like  Russell Gray and Phil McCann play rings around
>me any day of the week!

OK, i'm putting myself in the firing line, but to me, Phill McCann is the most
boring player i've ever heard.

[ Grit teeth and prepare for a barage of abuse ]

Sorry, but that vibrato!!! Where is it going???  It seems out of control and
really totally distracts me from the music.
Technically I can't fault the man, but his tone isn't too good.  In fact, about
2 years ago I went to hear him solo with a band, and he was cracking notes all
over the shop and although I was sitting in front of him, there was no power in
his sound.
However, after he'd played, he conducted the band and WOW, what a change he
made to the band, drew everything out of them and made them PLAY.  It was
great.

Incidently, he comes from the same town as me....<BEAM>My gran know his
mum!!</BEAM>

OK, i'll stand firm and take my abuse.  Thanks for listening,

best wishes,
--
Gregor Spowart <gregors@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

...... In case of emergency - RUN!!!!!!! ......