Re: ISB / Top 10 S.A. Bands

I'd say that any top ten ranking will be hard to do, as you have two
choices on which to rank them:

a) Recordings
b) Festivals

With regards to a) a good producer in a good hall can make a bad band
sound good, and vice versa. With (b) all bands will have off nights, and
i suppose most players from big army bands would probably be too busy to
have the time to go and see other bands, so you can only judge them if
they do something at one of the national gatherings.

I think that these days the gap between the best bands and the next group
of bands is shrinking, with more of the top players coming from lesser
known corps. The list Gregor Stewart made might see bands such as
Portsmouth, Boscombe, Coventry, Croydon, Derby, and Chalk Farm up there
too.

>From the UK bands point of view, I would say Egon Virtuosi and the ISB
form the top group, Chalk Farm, Enfield and Hendon the second.
Closely followed, by all the other corps bands mentioned.

But then of course this is subject to what i have heard either live, or on
CD!!

// Simon Loukes:	     Web Maintainer :
// The Complete MOD Site     www.warwick.ac.uk/~bsuvj/MOD/
// Warwick Student's Union   www.warwick.ac.uk/~suaar