Re: ISB / Top 10 S.A. Bands

On Mon  6 Jan 97 (21:06:17), pittock@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>>Also while the subject of the ISB as the army's premier music group is
>>raised, i would have to disagree, and say that my vote would go to the
>>Egon Virtuoso Band. As it is a recording only band, which usually
>spends 2
>>nights and a Saturday for both rehearsing and recording a CD, that
>>releases twice a year, it allows players from all over the UK to take
>>part, rather than hold the ISB's London bias, which because of its
>nature
>>it can do nothing about, and this means that some of the army's best
>>players can meet and release something that will appeal to a larger
>>section of the brass band market.
>
>You bring up an interesting note, that being Egon.  Is it strictly S.A.
>players?  I know it started out as such, is it still?  There is a band
>here
>in Canada of probably all of the top S.A. players and a few outside
>people
>as well, called Intrada, led by Bram Gregson.  It's an outstanding
>band, naturally, and it's strong S.A. element almost makes it a similar
>band to
>Egon.

Sorry, forgot to put Chalk farm in my list of 10....not as simple as it
sounded.  They'd probably be roundabout where Norwich band were...Pretty good
band, my dads cousin used to play with them so obviously i'm very close to them
:-)  He plays with Enfield now and Egon too - Ian Spowart is his name.

As for Egon, yes, they are a good band, but they are more like Enfield band
with that 'rough' feel that they seem to have.  In fact rough isn't the right
word, but you know what I mean.
As far as I know, Egon is still all Salvationist, but they're not a Salvation
Army band, they're in fact just a recording band, although they played a gig
last year I believe at a contest.  They were brought together by John Street of
Egon Publishers, I believe to record pieces that aren't readily available on CD
but I think he also got some of his favourites in there as well.
I've heard, but i'm not sure that some of the more senior figures in the SA
headquarters weren't too happy with the band, but since it was them that
relaxed the rule about playing in other bands then they kept pretty quiet about
it.

Anyway, all IMO.

Best wishes,
--
Gregor Spowart <gregors@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

...... In case of emergency - RUN!!!!!!! ......