RE:Phil McCann (Was vibrato)

 --- Received from ITNET.GREENPH  715 4078	   10/01/97 09.49
   -> SM.IBMMAIL.INTERNET
   -: - - - - - - - - - - > EXTERNAL MAIL USER

 Subject: RE:Phil McCann (Was vibrato)

 What do you guys want.  Maybe you have short memories.  Phillip McCann was
 and probably is the best cornet player in the world (by a long way too).
 What does he need to do to become exiting?  Maybe sway a little, close his
 eyes, sweat profusely, dance, tell jokes ????  He's a cornet player and
 probably the finest exponent of the art that any of US will hear.
 How many remember when he was top man at Dyke, and halls would fill just to
 hear HIM; half in admiration, the other half hoping he would cock up.
 Have many of his knockers experienced that kind of pressure; sitting on
 stage at the RAH with 3000 people staring at and listening to YOU ?
 He has probably the best knowledge of how to play slow melodies/arias in th
 e genre with his Dyke pedigree and his exhaustive research for his recordin
 gs: his technique is still second to none: his tone as pure as you can get
 and constant over 3 octaves.

 Look, listen and LEARN.

 Phil Green
 Britannia B.S. Band

 p.s.
      I am writing this as an admirer of Phillips playing, NOT as member
 of BBS.

 >OK, i'm putting myself in the firing line, but to me, Phill McCann is the most
 >boring player i've ever heard.

 Hear hear.
 >@ Grit teeth and prepare for a barage of abuse ?
 I think many people may agree with you.

 >Sorry, but that vibrato!!! Where is it going???  It seems out of control and
 >really totally distracts me from the music.
 Yep!
 >Technically I can't fault the man, but his tone isn't too good.  In fact,
 ...about
 >2 years ago I went to hear him solo with a band, and he was cracking notes all
 >over the shop and although I was sitting in front of him, there was no power
 ...in
 >his sound.
 >However, after he'd played, he conducted the band and WOW, what a change he
 >made to the band, drew everything out of them and made them PLAY.  It was
 >great.
 Yep!