Re: Vibrato

pag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>  Subject: Vibrato
>
>  A very well known and respected Brass Band conductor, who was formerly
>  Principal Trumpet with the London Symphony Orchestra INSISTS that vibrato i
>  s applied to all notes in a melody/counter melody/lead part equally.  He
>  detests the Frank Sinatra style of adding very wide vib at the end of long
>  notes.  Vibrato will 'bring out' the sound when playing melodies and any
>  note not played with vib will sound flat and lose it VIBrancy.
>  Play the notes simply, add the right amount of vib to each and the music
>  will then take over and thoughts on HOW it is played should become secondar
>  y to the listener.
>
>  Phil Green
>  Britannia B.S.

Hi Phil - taking a punt, from your band affiliation, it looks like
you're talking about Howard Snell. And I, for one, would love to hear
more about his methods. I've been listening with admiration to the
wonderful sound he gets (or got) from Britannia over the last several
years. Please tell us more.

Bill Buffam