Re: Vibrato

I would suggest the academics of "how to" of vibrator are irrelevant.
Ultimately it is the customer (the audience) who will determine if it is
musicaly suited or a simply a distastful application of a technical element
of playing. In all things musical it is the intuitive adjustments a
sensitive player makes to communicate his minds eye (ear?) that determines
how well the emotion of the piece is communicated.  Attempts to describe
"when to", "how to", "if to" apply vibrato are at best approximations to
describe what the gifted musician knows intuitively.  Academic discussions
of vibrato may attempt to provide guideance to those who simply "don't know
when or how", however, searching insides oneself and as a musician playing
in a heartfelt manner will overide any academic irrelevancies.

----------
> From: Graham Young <gyoung@xxxxxxxx>
> To: Bill Buffam <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Vibrato
> Date: Saturday, April 15, 1995 6:24 PM
>

> > >  Subject: Vibrato
> > >
> > >  A very well known and respected Brass Band conductor, who was
formerly
> > >  Principal Trumpet with the London Symphony Orchestra INSISTS that
vibrato i
> > >  s applied to all notes in a melody/counter melody/lead part equally.
 He