Another list of Top 10 S.A. Bands

My top ten list, based almost exclusively on recent recordings is as follows:

1) ISB
2)Enfield
2)Melbourne Staff *
4)Canadian Staff *
5)Hendon +
6)London Citadel +
7)New York Staff
8)Amsterdam Staff
9)Chicago Staff
10)Norwich

Honorable Mention - Brisbane Temple (Australia) , National Capital Band
(USA), Southern Territorial Band (USA).

*  could easily be switched
+ could easily be switched

As previously stated my list  for the most part, is based on recent
recordings. I do realize that this criteria is not entirely fair.

The first problem is that it immediately puts bands that have not produced
a recent recording, out of contention. The exceptions are those bands with
well known reputations. However, most of the bands that have good
reputations, have already produced a recording or two. Still, I am sure
there are quite a few good corps bands out there that I have not  heard of.
As a resident of Ontario, Canada the chances to hear some of the less known
corps bands in the world are few and far between. (Having said that, I look
forward to attending a Sunderland Monkwearmouth Band concert this spring
when they tour Canada)

I think the biggest problem with judging bands by their recordings is due
to the "miracle of modern technology." With the help of digital editing,
bands can easily eliminate and/or disguise a lot of missed notes and bad
entries etc. I recognize that there is a limit to what digital editing can
fix, however I believe that it certainly allows average bands to sound good
and good bands to sound great!

In contrast, I think recordings can also work the other way - a good band
can be made to sound poor. The "sound"  and performance that a band
produces can be ruined by improper mic placement, inappropriate
equalization & ambiance (reverb) adjustments, and/or poor venue selection.

Case in point - Enfield Citadel Band's "Lord is King" CD. This disc
features some really great music, and the band plays quite well. However
the "sound" of the recording is distracting at times and takes away from
the bands overall performance. In my opinion, the recording is quite dry. I
find this to be most noticeable during "Song of Courage." The end of the
piece is very well played, but the lack of resonance makes the performance
sound very...abrupt...almost harsh.

I think the same can be said for David Daws solo recording "I Hear the
Music" - however, with David's beautiful sound, it as if he's got resonance
to spare, and his extraordinary playing makes the production faults less
prominent.

Despite the problems I have touched on, I would have to say that since it
is not possible to hear all the top SA bands live (on a regular basis),
recordings are probably the next best tool for comparison.

It would be interesting to see what an aggregate Top 10 list would look
like. Perhaps someone would like to gather every ones top 10 lists along
with other opinions etc and publish the overall results on the net. By
allowing us to report and comment on recordings as well as live gigs, the
top 10 would be a lot more accurate.

With regards to contest bands, if I am not mistaken, Brass Band World
publishes a ranking in every issue of the top 20 Championship section bands.

Well that's it for now, I look forward to reading  comments on my top 10
list and comparing it to others.

Sincerely,

Paul Alvarez