Re: Vibrato

The question of "how to" create vibrato has just been raised.   A couple
of years ago I was at a tuba workshop where Steve Sykes taught us three
ways of getting vibrato.

1) Wobble the instrument very slightly.

2) Produce a form of coughing noise in the throat, although I have not
   had much success with this.

3) Fractionally raise and lower the jaw.   The way he taught this was to
   imagine you have a piece of chewing gum between your back teeth, and
   very gently add a little pressure to the gum and release it again.

I have found the third method to be the best, followed by the first.   The
noise in the throat has always sounded as if I am choking.

Hope this helps.

Andy Wilson