Re: Note from Doug Yeo

> Somehow I accidentally deleted those comments Doug Yeo made concerning his
> recording session with Black Dyke.  If anyone still has a copy, could you
> forward one to me direct?  Thank you.
>
> Karl Schultz
> Spires Brass Band

Here it is:

Roger Menning
menning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

---------------------------------
From: yeo@xxxxxxxxxxx (Douglas Yeo)
To: "Trombones and related issues forum." <trombone-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Brass Band Excellence

John Ingman wrote:

>Most of our finest players in this country came from brass bands (Ian
>Bousfield to name just one) simply because there is a bigger
>challenge there as you are playing a lot more than windband or
>orchestras. There is also the competitive element that comes from
>playing in contests. If you can, you should all try to do some brass
>band playing. In England there are many bands of varying standard and
>I understand that in the US the whole thing is taking off!
>
>I also urge you to sample brass band music by having a listen to some
>of the many fine CDs that I know are exported to the US.

I've been away at Carnegie Hall for a few days and am trying to catch up on
some interesting threads.

John and others are absolutely right about brass bands.  My first hand
experience with the Black Dyke Mills Band, one of the finest such bands in
the world, has really opened my eyes. And it all fits in nicely with my
continued pulpit pounding about the subject of excellence in performance.

For those of us in the USA, our experience with brass bands has been
unfortunately very limited unless you come from a Salvation Army
background.  What we need to discover is the fact that many of the top,
championship level bands in the UK - which are made up wholly of AMATEUR
players - are every bit the equal of the top American and European
orchestras.

This is no exaggeration.

When I recently recorded my solo CD with Black Dyke, it was apparent to me
that I was being "fronted" by a group that in terms of passion, dedication,
intonation, ensemble and sheer love of music, is unparalleled in my
experience.  I got an education.  Sure, I made an album, but more than
that, I LEARNED something I shall never forget.

My own Boston Symphony Orchestra (and likewise the Chicago Symphony, San
Francisco Symphony, Phila Orchestra and all the rest) can only DREAM of
having the kind of unity of mind and ensemble that bands like Black Dyke
have.

A case in point:  During our second recording session in September, we
began the day putting down a new piece written by BSO bass player (as in
string bass) Lawrence Wolfe.  Larry wrote the arguably most difficult piece
on the album ("Triptych"), and we began by recording the fiendishly
difficult third movement.  The first take had some problems, but much in it
that was good.  The conductor, James Watson (who, by the way, began his
career in the Desford Band at the age of five, became their principal
cornet at age 9 and went on to become the principal trumpet of the Royal
Philharmonic, Covent Garden Opera and Philip Jones Brass Ensemble), put
down his baton and quietly said:

"Gentleman.  Doug and I are going to go down to the booth and listen to
that take and you all are going to take out your pencils.  That was a
shambles."

Jim and I left the hall for the recording booth and on the TV monitor I
could see that NOT ONE player left their chair, EVERYONE had their pencils
out and they ALL began practicing.  During their break.  No talking.  No
complaining. The next take was terrific and it was a direct result of the
concentration and high level of professionalism displayed by each and every
individual member.

When's the last time you've seen THAT kind of behavior and dedication at a
recording session from an American Federation of Musicians, AFL-CIO,
$80,000 a year base salary, top level American Orchestra?  You haven't
because it doesn't happen.

After you've heard the Foden O.T.S. Band play the Elgar "Enigma Variations"
(Polyphonic QMPR 605D), or Black Dyke play the Holst "Planets" (Doyen DOY
CD 050) or the Britannia Building Society Band play the Ravel "Daphnis and
Chloe" Suite 2 (Doyen DOY CD 045) or Dyke play Eric Ball's "Resurgam"
(Polyphonic QPRL 061D) you will be hooked.  These bands are remarkable.
They are setting new levels of excellence in brass playing yet they labor
(labour!) virtually unknown in the USA.

And they are AMATEURS! They aren't making big (or any!) bucks from this.
For instance, the Black Dyke bass trombonist, Adrian Hirst, is a coal mine
surveyer!  Their second trombonist, James Stockdale, works in a bank!

We in the USA, especially in light of the recent thread on orchestra
strikes, would do well to gain an appreciation of these brass colleagues
across the pond and in our own backyard (there are many recordings of
excellent Salvation Army Bands from the USA and Canada) who play at the
highest level simply because they LOVE it.  There is no money in banding;
just pride, honor, and the satisfaction of a job well done.

Thanks to the many of you have ordered my new recording with Black Dyke.
Judging from the interest in my  "Proclamation" page at

http://www.yeodoug.com/proclamation.html

more than a few people are finding the story of how this unique album came
about to be interesting.  For me, the real satisfaction is in the promotion
of the brass band as a vibrant, highly excellent group of players that
deserves to be recognized more for the great kind of ensemble it is.

Pick up a brass band CD sometime soon.  You won't be disappointed.  After
listening to the fabulous level of playing, you'll probably want to either
quit or practice.

It makes ME want to practice.

Which reminds me.........

Doug Yeo
Bass Trombonist
Boston Symphony Orchestra

	       *		   Douglas Yeo		 *
	       *   Bass Trombonist, Boston Symphony Orchestra  *
	       *		 yeo@xxxxxxxxxxx	       *
	       *	Visit the Douglas Yeo HomePage	 *
	       *	      http://www.yeodoug.com	   *