Re: No Swing in the U.K.?

Hello list,

> Well, again, i have to disagree....i'm not making any friends on this
> list, but I just don't feel that British Brass Bands can swing, either
> SA bands or otherwise.  I have the Revelation CD, and they are OK at
> swing, as are Desford in the Harry James piece, but they can't touch
> the original.   IMO, the only brass band in Britain that get close to
> swing is the Redbridge Brass, and i've not heard that much of them,
> but when I heard them on the radio, they knew what was going on and
> did a good job of it.  The Chicago Staff are pretty good at it also,
> but they're not British, as you'd probably guessed.
> But still, they weren't as good as the real big bands and jazz bands.
> I think that BB should just stick to their own music (and to an extent
> that includes some of the orchestral transcriptions, but thats another
> thread, although, quite an interesting one....) since that is what they're
> good at.
>
> Just my opinion.
>
> Regards

>From:	     Gregor Spowart <ceegjs1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

With all due respect to your last comment, I appreciate that this is your own
opinion...But:

Pray-tell what is Brass Bands 'own' music, I'm sure that you don't
mean that we should all stick to playing Floral Dance for the rest of
our years....or do you?

I think that the scope of the brass band repertoire has
come on leaps and bounds over the last decade and at this point we
surely must ask ourselves who do we play for?  The audiences? or  ourselves
(as players)? The more diverse musical styles that are now available
surely can only be seen as a benefit to both.

Keep-on-blowin'

Yours cynically
Matt Booth
(Bumper-up Unity Brass)