LOOK!!!LOOK!!!!LOOK!!!!

On Tue 21 Jan 97 (12:30:31), stur9630@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
First of all, 'hello' to all of those SA bandsmen on the mailing list.

It's been a couple of days now since I have seen any 'top 10' lists  regarding
SA bands (playing ability only), here is my top 10 in no  particular order:

1)  International Staff Band
2)  Canadian Staff Band
3)  Enfield Citadel Band, UK
4)  New York Staff Band
5)  London Citadel Band, CANADA
6)  Chicago Staff Band
7)  Amsterdam Staff Band
9)  Melbourne Staff Band
10) Hendon Citadel Band, UK

I don't have many corps. bands on the list because not many corps bands  make
recordings.  I can't say I've heard any recordings by Regent Hall  band, Chalk
Farm, Bristol Easton, Peterborough, Staines etc. lately.  Do  any of these
bands have recent recordings available?

I will say that at this moment, ISB are #1.  I was very disapointed to  see
that someone had placed NYSB ahead of the Canadian Staff personally.   Their
live recorded performance of 'Resurgam' on 'A Gala Concert with  Canadian
Virtuoso Trombonist, Alain Trudel' is by far the best I've  heard.  Even better
than the ISB's recording of 'Resurgam' on Partita. When a band is live and
pumped, nothing can beat them.  A recording studio  just doesn't easily create
the atmosphere for a piece like that.

The one comment I would like to make about vibrato is that I feel the  term
'vibrato' and 'warm sound' are un-related, eg.  Ian Bousfield has  amazing
sound, a very warm sound, yet he achieves this without vibrato. Vibrato can be
nice and very nasty.  David Dawes, Derek Kane, Phil Smith  would be a good
examples players with nice vibrato, bad.......well I    don't think it would be
nice to bash anyone in particular.  I do feel   that playing euphonium requires
more vibrato than any other brass  instrument.  It seems to be the nature of
the instrument.  The one thing  that is true, vibrato and its use is very
opinionated.  Lets leave it at
that.

Here is my list of top non-SA brass bands only to name a few:

1) Yorkshire Building Society
2) Black Dyke
3) GWS Glasgow
4) Grimethorpe
5) Williams Fairy

To rank these in any order is virtually impossible as far as I am  concerned.
It depends who is playing in what band on what day.  The  turn-over in non-SA
bands seems to be far greater than any SA band (and  for obvious reasons too).

There's my 2 cents worth.  Any bands planing on visiting CANADA any time  soon?

	    |  _________/|	 |      Mark Sturge     |
	    | (*____|___\|________ | stur9630@xxxxxxxxxxxx|

Gregor Spowart <gregors@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

...... In case of emergency - RUN!!!!!!! ......