Re: Re: No Swing in the U.K.?

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Tim Morgan wrote:

> > I think that BB should just stick to their own music (and to an extent
> > that includes some of the orchestral transcriptions, but thats another
> > thread, although, quite an interesting one....) since that is what they're
> > good at.
>
> Yes, and perhaps we should all wear cloth caps and work down coal mines should
> we?  Perhaps we should try your theory of original music only Gregor - original
> music that most of the non BB public actually don't enjoy listening to, ignoring
> the up tempo pieces that we are all obviously so incompetent at playing even
> though the audience like it - but don't be surprised if there is a single brass
> band left in this country in 50 years time.
>
> Oh yes...and that's just my opinion.

I never mentioned that we were incompetent of playing up-tempo
music..Maybe you should read my note again...I don't remember saying that
we should be playing old old music either....
Anyway, you have a point, if you are aiming for the non-brass band playing
public then you have to have variety in your program.  I totally agree
with that.  And the essence of a good program is variety.  But there are
some excellent *original* pieces of music that are pleasant to listen to.
All i'm saying is that British Brass bands can't play jazz or swing, but
if we are all aiming at the non brass band playing public, then go ahead,
play what you want since they're all just wanting to hear music.  They
won't be sitting there discussing that our grasp of jazz isn't top stuff.
Our own band plays some original brass band swing pieces, and we've not
got a grasp of it, but it brightens up the program.  Although, when they
hear our band, they'll be discussing more than our lack of swinging :-)

Did you ever read the interview with Elgar Howarth in BBW a few years back
now?  He was trying to use the brass band in a more professional light.
He wrote music to fill the gap between transcriptions, and test pieces,
but the band movement never really took to it.

Anyway, i've said enough in this letter.  Any more comments, pass them
on...

Regards,