RE: No Swing in the U.K.?

Hello list,

> Well, again, i have to disagree....i'm not making any friends on this
> list, but I just don't feel that British Brass Bands can swing, either
> SA bands or otherwise.  I have the Revelation CD, and they are OK at
> swing, as are Desford in the Harry James piece, but they can't touch
> the original.   IMO, the only brass band in Britain that get close to
> swing is the Redbridge Brass, and i've not heard that much of them,
> but when I heard them on the radio, they knew what was going on and
> did a good job of it.  The Chicago Staff are pretty good at it also,
> but they're not British, as you'd probably guessed.
> But still, they weren't as good as the real big bands and jazz bands.
> I think that BB should just stick to their own music (and to an extent
> that includes some of the orchestral transcriptions, but thats another
> thread, although, quite an interesting one....) since that is what
they're
> good at.
>
> Just my opinion.
>
> Regards

>From:	     Gregor Spowart <ceegjs1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I know a couple of people have already had a go about this email, but
one line I would like to pick out is that you say only one brass band in
britain can get close to swing. How do you know this have you been to
every band in the country, or is it only top bands that have been
recorded that count. My own band have actually done concerts in a big
band setup and have made our own set of stands, we spent alot of time
getting the right style. It did the band alot of good and they are all
alot more outgoing (in a musical sense) than they ever were.
IMO there are some bands that cannot swing(including some of the top
bands), but to say that no UK band can swing is more than a bit of an
overstatement.

Phil