RE: No Swing in the U.K.?

On Fri 24 Jan 97 (08:11:57), phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I know a couple of people have already had a go about this email, but
>one line I would like to pick out is that you say only one brass band
>in britain can get close to swing. How do you know this have you been
>to every band in the country, or is it only top bands that have been
>recorded that count. My own band have actually done concerts in a big
>band setup and have made our own set of stands, we spent alot of time
>getting the right style. It did the band alot of good and they are all
>alot more outgoing (in a musical sense) than they ever were.
>IMO there are some bands that cannot swing(including some of the top
>bands), but to say that no UK band can swing is more than a bit of an
>overstatement.
OK, this is my last (public) word on this...if you want to continue..then mail
me.
However, what i think i am safe in saying is :

>From my experiences of listening to brass bands, I have come to the conclusion
that brass bands, in their usual set up, do not have what it takes to play as
well as jazz or swing bands, but this doesn't mean that their attempts at it
are hopeless, or are painful to the ear....

Hows that?? Anyone offended???

ALl flames etc to : gregors@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for listening...and sincerely, my apolgogies if i offended anyone, but
my opinion remains the same :-)

Best wishes,
--
Gregor Spowart <gregors@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

...... In case of emergency - RUN!!!!!!! ......