RE: No Swing in the U.K.?

Hi, Gregor!

I disagree with you about brass bands playing transcriptions.  I agree that a
transcription of an orchestral piece played by a brass band doesn't sound like
it does played by the orchestra, but, I ask: SO WHAT?!

I suspect that the trascripitions originally came about back in the old days
of no radio and phonographs (wireless and gramophones?).  People living in
small communities (perhaps, like mining communities?) had no access to
symphony orchestras to hear great music.  In order to bring culture to their
small communities, music publishers provided many different transcripitions of
new music, playable by a wide variety of instrumental combinations, especially
piano and string groups.  This way, a poor farmer or miner didn't have to make
the long trip to London, or Chicago, or some other large city to get to hear
the latest opus from Richard Strauss, or Edward Elgar, or that newfangled
composer, Igor Stravinsky.  They could purchase a transcription of  a work and
perform it, locally.  As I understand it, brass bands and choral societies
were formed in just such regions, for just such reasons.

Anyway, I belong to a symphony orchestra as well as a brass band ( as well as
other smaller groups), and enjoy playing such pieces as Schostakovich's
Festive Overture both in the original orchestral arrangement as well as the
brass band arrrangement.

I admit to not particularly like playing popular music (eg. the theme from
the movie 'Batman"), but I dislike playing this sort of piece with any group,
but that's just my taste in music...

In fact, as I listen to classical music on a local radio station, I find
myself often thinking that a piece would transcribe well for brass band, and
wishing that I had the time and talent to begin doing it, myself! (time and
talent in that order: I never have let a little thing like lack of talent to
stop me from doing anything! ;-) )

Food for thought?

Guy James Clark
guyclark@xxxxxxx
principal cornet, Illinois Brass Band
principal trumpet, Northbrook Symphony Orchestra
etc...