Re: No Swing in the U.K.?

> This may or may not be strictly on topic, but I've been thinking about it
> for a while.  Maybe because it's my SA influence and that we almost NEVER
> play pop music or that sort of thing (just the SA music and various
> classical transcriptions when we're feeling particularly naughty!), but I
> can't STAND hearing a brass band play almost any pop title.
>
> I'm sorry if I've wounded the feelings of those who love to play the latest
> Sting song on their euphoniums, but I think that as both a player and a
> listener, brass should stick to what it does best.  Let's face it - we're
> surely not going to win many rock fans over with our versions of popular
> songs so why pretend to be what we're not?

On this point I totally agree with you, the only thing worse than hearing
brass bands play pop songs is the actual playing off them. There is
nothing worse than playing Witney Houstons lastest hit, as it just
comprises of the same verse and chorus played several times with a slight
variation (i.e. fist time solo second tutti,) it goes on for hours and
there is no excitement in it for me. The songs have little meaning without
the words (and little meaning with) and most of the audiences that go to
brass band concerts have never heard of the original anyway.

I'm not going to get onto the band wagon and say that we shouldn't play
this music as I enjoy playing all forms of music, but couldn't it at
least be made a bit more exciting for player and listener alike.

Susie Davies
(Back row N.C.T.)